Welcome to the Library
First Baptist Church
Phone 629.5683 x146
Hours of operation
Sunday: 10:00-10:30 a.m.
Tuesday: 9:30 a.m. - 12 noon
Wednesday: 5:15 - 8:00 p.m.
Thursday: 9:30 a.m. - 12 noon
- The church library director (or co-directors) is/are elected by the church. Volunteers are approved by the director(s) and trained by the director(s) to perform various library duties.
- All circulating library materials may be checked out both to church members and non-church members.
- Adults and high school age students may check out up to five (5) items at one time. Elementary and middle school students may check out up to three (3) items at one time. Kindergarten age children may check out two (2) items at one time. New items will not be checked out to anyone who has overdue materials.
- Books are checked out for a period of two (2) weeks at a time. All a-v items, such as videos and DVDs are checked out for one (1) week at a time. All items may be renewed one time without bringing in the item for re-checking.
- Patrons may request an item to be put on hold for them, and once the item is returned, it will be held for one (1) week before re-shelving.
- All patrons are responsible for the prompt return of all materials. Patrons will be asked to pay for the replacement of all damaged and lost items
All church library materials shall be:
- Selected and approved by the church library staff
- Be morally sound and promote Christian standards
- Be of good literary quality
- Be doctrinally sound
- Be accurate in fact and current in representation of history, research, science, geography
- Provide materials which meet the needs of a wide range of readers, i.e. all ages, cultural and ethnic backgrounds, learning styles, etc.
- Be in good condition
- The church library staff will accept donations of books, videos, CDs, DVDs, etc. provided the item(s) meets the standards of all the Selection Policy statements. When there is unnecessary duplication of donated materials, will be returned to the donor or, if the donor so requests, will be made available as free items for church members to pick up, or donated to another church library or ministry.
- Monetary donations to the church library budget will be graciously accepted. Donations may be given in memory or in honor of a loved one. Books will be purchased by the library staff and added to the collection with a bookplate in the book bearing the names of the donor and the person in whose memory/honor the donation is made.
The mission of our church library shall be
- to provide resources to undergird and support the efforts of both paid staff members and volunteer leaders in all organizations of the church
- to provide good reading materials for all ages, pre-school through adults
- to provide an area for study, quiet reading, and discussion of books which our readers are reading
- to aid in combating illiteracy by establishing reading programs for both children and adults in a Christian setting.
We provide Christian books, videos, DVDs, CDs, etc. to help our patrons in worship, to equip them as disciples, and to help them know how to embrace our culture with the love of God.
Volunteers are needed and welcomed to
- prepare bulletin boards and other displays
- assist with processing new books and other library materials
- read and straighten library shelves regularly
- assist with inventory
- prepare overdue notices
- assist at the circulation desk
- assist library users in locating materials, etc
Church library staff
Jan Moye, Director
Yvonne Hinson, Circulation Clerk
Maidee Parsons & Alice Croy, Library Assistants
Helpful websites for online Bible study and Christian literature